- SCOPE AND CONSENT
- TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
- YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
- WHERE YOUR INFORMATION WILL BE USED
- COOKIES AND OTHER TECHNOLOGIES
- MOBILE APPS
- APPLYING TO WORK AT NBCUNIVERSAL
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIAN RESIDENTS
- LINKS TO OTHER ONLINE SERVICES
- CONTACT US
1. SCOPE AND CONSENT:
2. TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT:
Our goal is to collect and use information to deliver effective and personalized services, which take your interests and preferences into account, as well as for our legitimate business needs and interests.
There are two main types of information we collect about users of our online services that include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Information that identifies you: this is commonly referred to as “personal information” and includes, for example, information that you provide to us such as your name, home address, age, gender, telephone number, email address, payment information (including your credit card number), and/or photos or video footage of you; and
- Information that relates to you, but on its own does not identify you: such as information about your Internet connection, the equipment you use to access our online services, and information relating to your usage of those services.
The main categories of information we collect about our online services users include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Contact/Registration information: for example, your telephone number or email address, if you have subscribed to a service such as program updates; name, age, gender, or interests if you register for an account on one of our online services; delivery address if you buy a product or service through an online service; or your age, location, or delivery address if you choose to enter a competition or sweepstakes offered through our online services.
- Transaction information: when you order products or services through our online services, you may provide information such as your credit/debit card details and other personal information related to that transaction.
- Information that you provide on message boards and other user forums: including your username, images, or videos. Please use caution when posting to messages boards or other forums, as information posted to these portions of our online services is public information.
- Information about your equipment and about your interactions with the NBCUniversal and other online services: for example, your Internet protocol or IP address; pages, content, or advertising that you visit within online services (including online services not provided by NBCUniversal); or the type and version of your device’s operating system or web browser, your device ID, and in some instances, your device’s location.
- Information that is collected from social networks and publicly available data: if you visit our online services on a device through which you also interact with social networks or if you interact with us through a social media function such as a plug-in (for example, a Facebook “like” button) then you may be permitting us to have on-going access to some information from your social network profile (such as your name, email address, your friend list, photo, age, gender, location, birthday, social networking ID, current city, and the people/sites you follow ). If you don’t want a social network to collect the information about you as described above, or you don’t want a social network to share it with us and other third parties, please review the privacy settings and instructions of the applicable social network before you visit and use our online services.
- Information that is collected from Consumer Data Resellers: we may collect information about you from consumer data resellers, including but not limited to, demographic and other generally available information, or advertiser information, including purchasing data and membership in loyalty programs.
- Information About Your Video Viewing Behavior: information about your video viewing behavior on our online services (e.g., content viewed and information about the advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on, etc.).
3. HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION:
The methods we use to collect information about you are as follows:
- Directly from you, when you provide it to us: for example, when you request products or services from us, when you register with us, respond to surveys, apply for a job, contact us or otherwise interact with us. Please remember that if others use devices into which you remain logged in, they may share information with us as if they were you, and they may have access to information that you have previously provided us. To protect your privacy, please log out from our online services that you access from public or shared devices.
- From third parties: including social networks, other online services, publicly available records, our service providers. and from consumer data resellers.
4. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION:
We (and our service providers) use information to:
- provide the online services you have requested;
- enter you into sweepstakes, contests or promotions where requested;
- create an online services account if you have requested one;
- personalize the services offered by us or our affiliates, including providing personalized advertising on some online services (see options for opting out of personalized advertising here);
- respond to your inquiries, requests, and comments;
- allow you to participate in the interactive features of our online services, where you choose to do so;
- provide technical support for our online services;
- prevent fraud or potentially illegal activities (including copyright infringement) on our online services;
- protect the safety of users and others on our online services;
- enforce our online services’ terms of service;
- understand how our online services are used so that we can continuously improve them, and the services we provide to you;
- send you newsletters and information about products, services and promotions relating to us and/or our business partners or other organizations that we work with, in accordance with your communication preferences.
- send you service-related communications, including announcements and administrative messages;
- create anonymous and, where legally permissible, personally identifiable user and consumer profiles, and audience segments that can be used for targeted advertising and marketing, and subject to legal restrictions (including consent where necessary) we may also use technology (such as Facebook Custom Audiences) to deliver advertising to you on other sites and in Mobile Apps based on the email address or other personal information you provide to us or through the use of information we receive from third parties, including Consumer Data Resellers. Please see Your Rights and Choices for further information about how you can control these updates;
- if you use our online services to send gifts we use the contact information (e.g., email addresses) that you provide to send the gift to your requested recipients, provide other communications relating to those sorts of transactions, as well as any further communications as may be authorized by the recipients; and implement any related social networking features you have activated.
Note that we may combine all the information we collect or receive about you for any of the foregoing purposes.
5. HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION:
Information sharing within NBCUniversal and among NBCUniversal affiliates.
Information sharing with other parties:
- Your information may be shared with NBCUniversal affiliates, and used to help us better tailor our services, products and advertising to you.
Information sharing with third parties – e.g. service providers, advertisers, consumer data resellers, social networks:
- Service providers that we have retained to perform certain business-related functions on our behalf: for example service providers who offer services including research and analytics; hosting websites, fulfilling transactions, maintaining databases, administering contests, providing technology services and platforms, and processing payments. These parties are provided only with the personal information or other information they need to perform their functions and can only use and disclose that information as is necessary to perform the services on our behalf, or to comply with legal requirements. We take steps to ensure that third party service providers will take appropriate steps to protect your personal information.
- For Mobile Apps: In Mobile Apps, your personal information and information about how you use our mobile apps may be shared with technology providers, carriers, analytics providers, and/or other mobile apps either operated by us or third parties. Please see our Mobile Apps section for additional detail.
- Advertisers, Advertising Networks and Consumer Data Resellers: Some online services, including Mobile Apps, may be supported with advertising, and collect data to help our online services serve ads. This helps keep the cost of online services low or free. We work with advertisers and third-party advertising networks and consumer data resellers that buy and/or sell information to other companies for multiple purposes including offering products and services that may interest you. These third parties may receive information about how you interact with content and advertising provided in our online services. These third parties may view, edit or set their own tracking technologies/cookies, which will allow them to collect information about you. For information about your choices relating to the transfer of information via such technologies see our Cookies and Tracking Technologies section.
- Sharing of Video Viewing Behavior: we may share information (and you agree to this sharing) about the video content you view on our online services with video measurement services such as Nielsen TV Ratings, analytics providers and advertising companies, and third party social media sites. This sharing shall continue for two years or until you withdraw your consent. Information that may be passed to video measurement services such as Nielsen TV Ratings, analytics providers and advertising companies may be via cookies and tracking technologies. For information about your choices relating to transfer of information via such technologies see Cookies and Tracking Technologies section.
To opt out of video measurement services by Nielsen TV Ratings specifically please click here
In addition, we may disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies, government/regulatory bodies, and content protection organizations to:
Sale or transfer of all or part of our business or assets
- Protect our legal rights, privacy or safety, and that of our subsidiaries, affiliates, employees, agents, contractors, or other individuals;
- Protect the safety and security of visitors to our online services or other properties;
- Protect against fraud or other illegal activity or for risk management purposes;
- Respond to inquiries or requests from government, regulatory, law enforcement, or public authorities;
- Permit us to pursue available remedies, commence, participate in, or defend litigation, or limit the damages that we may sustain;
- Comply with the law including with subpoenas, search warrants, court orders, and other legal process; or
- Enforce applicable terms of service.
- Except where otherwise indicated. we do not knowingly collect or store any personal information from children under the age of 13. Some of our online services may attract an audience that is under the age of 13. For those services, we use an age-gate to make certain features unavailable for use by children under 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 in connection with those features. Where required, we will provide notice to and obtain verifiable consent from parents or guardians for the collection of personal information from children under 13, and provide parents or guardians the ability to request access to personal information we have collected from their children. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time with their children online and to be fully familiar with the online services used by their children. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child under 13 has provided us with information without his or her consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. As required by law, we will delete such information from our files within a reasonable time.
California minors under 18 years old may request the removal of any information that they posted to NBCUniversal sites by contacting email@example.com. Upon such request, NBCUniversal will anonymize, or remove from public view, any content posted by a minor to one of its websites, unless required by law to retain such content or information.
7. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION:
We maintain procedural, technical, and physical safeguards for our online services to help protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of the personal information you provide via our online services. We also ask the service providers that help us deliver our online services to do the same. For example, we limit access to this information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop, or improve our online services. Unfortunately, no transmission of data is guaranteed to be completely secure. It may be possible for third parties not under our control to intercept or access transmissions or private communications unlawfully. Therefore, any transmission of personal information to us is made at your own risk. If you believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please notify us using the contact details below.
Usernames & Passwords
It is important that you protect and maintain the security of any account you create and that you notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of any NBCUniversal account. Do not disclose your password to anyone else.
8. YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES:
Communication Preferences and Opt-outs
If you have subscribed to one or more of our email newsletters or are receiving them from us and you don’t want them anymore, you can unsubscribe. Select the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any message, by other means provided to unsubscribe, or using the contact details below, to unsubscribe from marketing and promotional emails and associated marketing delivered to you on third party services based on your subscription data. However, you cannot unsubscribe from some service related messages.
For additional information about your choices in relation to Mobile Apps including information on how to opt out of targeted advertising and video measurement see the Mobile Apps section.
Advertising/Cookies and Similar Technologies
For more information about your choices for cookies and similar technology (“Cookies and Tracking Technology”), including where such technology is used to provide targeted or other advertising on our online services, please see our Cookies and Tracking Technologies policy.
Access and Correction
In addition to the functionality provided to you via our online services (such as using “account settings” for registered users), where legally required we provide online visitors with access to their personal information and the ability to review, update and correct it.
Some access requests may be subject to a small fee. To help preserve your privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity, such as requiring a password and user ID, and possibly photo ID before granting access to your personal information. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about exercising these rights.
Data Retention and Deletion
We will retain your data for as long as you use our online services and for a reasonable time thereafter. If you’d like to delete, modify or update the data that you provided via our online services please use the settings on our online services or contact us email@example.com and we will respond within a reasonable time. Please note that some or all of this data may be required in order for our online services to function properly, and we may be required, by law, to retain certain information.
Opt-out of Video Measurement by Nielsen
To opt out of video measurement services by Nielsen TV Ratings specifically please click here.
9. WHERE YOUR INFORMATION WILL BE USED:
NBCUniversal is based in the United States and may from time to time transfer your personal information to other countries and make it accessible to any of our affiliates and third party service providers internationally. Where the transfer of information is to a country that does not provide an adequate level of information protection, NBCUniversal has taken steps to ensure that your personal information receives an appropriate level of protection.
If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect, including personal information, may be transferred to, and processed, stored and used in the United States. Under United States law, your personal information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in the United States.
By using our online services and providing your personal information to us, you understand and agree that your personal information may be sent to other countries including those which do not provide an equivalent level of information protection as the European Economic Area (EEA).
10. COOKIES AND OTHER TECHNOLOGIES:
11. MOBILE APPS:
For more information about our information collection and use practices with respect to online services that are mobile applications ("Mobile Apps") see the Mobile Apps policy.
12. APPLYING TO WORK AT NBCUNIVERSAL:
When you apply to work at NBCUniversal your information will be collected and used in accordance with the Candidate Privacy Statement.
13. IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS:
Residents of the State of California may request a list of all third parties to which our online service has disclosed certain personal information (as defined by California law) during the preceding year for those third parties' direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and want such a list, please contact us at Chief Privacy Officer, NBCUniversal Legal Department, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112, US. For all requests, you must put the statement "Your California Privacy Rights" in the body of your request, as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. In the body of your request, please provide enough information for us to determine if this applies to you. You need to attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for our response. Please note that we will not accept requests via the telephone, email, or by facsimile, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.
Do Not Track
California Business & Professions Code Section 22575(b) (as amended effective January 1, 2014) provides that California residents are entitled to know how NBCUniversal responds to "Do Not Track" browser settings. NBCUniversal does not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed. We continue to review new technologies and may adopt a standard once one is created.
14. LINKS TO OTHER ONLINE SERVICES:
14. CONTACT US:
For enquiries from outside of the US please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Chief Privacy Officer, Legal Department, Central Saint Giles, St Giles High Street, London, WC2H 8NU, UK.